Tree of life: Klimt meets Africa
Decide on the size of your article, mine is roughly 50 x 50 cm.
- Fabric for base; any sturdy cotton. An old sheet will also do
- Fabric in predominantly gold print. 25cm should be enough.
- Background fabric, preferably dark purple or blue. Enough to cover about 40x40 cm
- Fine florals for base, 4-5 different designs. 10cm of each should suffice.
- Circles within circles to be cut out and attached to the tree. (have a look at the example to get the idea). Shweshwe has interesting designs that fit the bill.
- 5-6 different Shweshwe designs for the triangles. 10cm of each will be enough.
- Tulle (I used black) to cover the complete article and help securing the smaller elements.
- Backing fabric of your own choice.
- Fusible applique paper
- Invisible thread.
- Assembling small bits to create a pleasing whole.
- Learn to balance colours and design.
- Raw edge applique
- Meandering on tulle over design.
Iron fabric onto fusible applique paper to save time.